It was a great privilege to have posted this craft on Ms. Redo site last Sunday. I am also posting it here so that I can hold on to it.
I started with an idea and then began to look for some materials to make it. Here is what I started with:
Fabric- Candy Cane striped, burgundy, tea dyed muslim
I began by covering the coffee can with the burgundy fabric. I used Mod Podge to do this. I did it a little at a time so that the Mod Podge would not be dry.
Then I covered it with Mod Podge.
The next step involved using my computer and printing the saying that I wanted to put on the can. I wanted to transfer the outline of the printout onto the muslim, so I printed it using the mirror image option in the printer settings. I did this in Red Ink and Black ink because I wanted to have both colors in the paper. To transfer I placed the paper on the muslim and used a paint brush to make the paper a little wet. I pressed on the letters and some of the ink transferred to the material.
Here is the black printout on the fabric. You can see that it is a little wet. This is tricky because it you don't put enough water, nothing happens; put too much and the color runs. This is the first time I tried this on fabric so I did experiment a couple of times before I got the results I wanted.
This one is complete. I did add a little more red in places with a red Sharpie.
I made sure the lettering was dry and then I cut the fabric to the size I needed for the can. Used some Mod Podge to attach it. In hind site I should have done this part first because I could have put it on when the can was still wet. Instead I had to add more Mod Podge. Live and Learn.
Next I added 3 rusty stars and a burlap bow.
Glued a piece of Jute to the bottom to protect the furniture from scratched and a piece of a twig with berries.
To finish, I needed some Candy Canes. I Googled a template as seen below begin. I folded the fabric in half and placed the template on the fold as directed.
The I used a fabric marker to trace the outline.
Place some pins in in each one to keep it from unfolding.
Once I had it stuffed, I used hot glue to stick the hole together-- sort of cheated here since it should have been hand stitched. However, it did get the job done faster. I tied a bow around it and then it was ready for the can.