Thursday 27 October 2011

Scrappy Coasters

Last year for Christmas a friend,  Glenda Knight, gave me a set of  coasters, made from stamping on ceramic tiles.  I love them!  This made me want to try some myself.  I didn't have any stamps at this point, so I borrowed some from Glenda.

The first mistake I made was I bought the smooth ceramics-- the ink from the stamps don't stay on this.   So I decided to take out the scrap booking paper and Mod Podge.

I started by painting the back of the tiles a neutral color.


Then I stamped the green paper with "From the Heart".   I let this dry overnight.  Then I put a layer of mod podge on the front of the tile and added a square of scrapbooking paper.  I put a layer of Mod Podge on top of that and put the green tag on top and then added more Mod Podge.  After drying for 8 to 10 hours, I added a final coat of Mod Podge, allowed it to dry and sprayed the coasters with an acrylic clear coating to water proof it.  I stuck some felt to each corner to prevent them from scratching the surface.



Since that set I have made more using napkins or fabric instead of scrap booking paper.  They turned out nice as well.  For these, I used an unfinished tile- they are thicker and have a rough texture which is great for the thin napkins.  I used the same technique so I am just going to show you pictures.

 This is a nice spring/ summer coaster.

This one is actually done out of fabric. 

This one is a napkin that I am using on a grey tile.  It is larger than the other tiles and  will make a great tile to put on display or to use on the stove for laying hot items. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi! Found ya on a link party :)
    These are great! You make them look so easy! I would love for you to share these in my 10 homemade Christmas gifts under $10 series. Please let me know if your interested!

    ReplyDelete